Alleged child sex offender gave job to 14yo Kingaroy boy
A 75-YEAR-OLD alleged child sex offender is set to be released from custody to return to his home in Kingaroy at the end of the week.
The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, faced Kingaroy Magistrates Court for breaking a bail condition that he cannot approach or contact any child under the age of 16.
On July 8 at 3pm police received information that a young person was riding a moped scooter.
Police prosecutor Pepe Gangemi said the 14-year-old boy told police officers he was working for the 75-year-old man.
"The defendant was charged in April 2017 with sexual offences related to young male children between 12 and 14, and that's what he's on bail for," he said.
"One of the conditions of his bail was to not approach or contact any child under the age of 16.
"On July 8 when (the defendant) was identified as allowing a 14-year-old to ride a moped, enquiries were commenced and there was an investigation," Sgt Gangemi said.
As a result of the investigation, officers established the 75-year-old man had employed the 14-year-old.
He also bought a mobile phone for the child and gave it to him as part of his employment.
"The mother of the child was spoken to, this has occurred over a period of six months," the prosecutor said.
"There was contact with the child every day before school and every day after school.
"She also said that a few weeks prior, the defendant had taken all of her children to the movies and had on occasion taken them to dinner."
Sgt Gangemi said the 14-year-old had allegedly wiped the mobile phone to "remove specific conversations".
"Even though the breach bail is not serious, his history is," he said.
"There is relevance to the matters to which he has previously been charged and the fact that he has a very, very disturbing and concerning criminal history.
"There were allegations of 40-50 oral sex incidents with a 12-year-old victim, incidents involve watching pornographic material and a deprivation of liberty charge."
"When he was picked up on this (breach of bail) charge, he had organised to take the 14-year-old and his brother to Brisbane for an overnight stay and to Dreamworld the following day.
"That was basically stopped with his arrest," Sgt Gangemi said.
"That is exactly the same grooming behaviour to which he stands alleged for which he was placed on bail not to have contact with children."
Defence lawyer Mark Werner said the 75-year-old man had been living in the South Burnett for a number of decades.
"He has an excellent work history and retired about 10 years ago," he said.
"It's a flagrant breach. But I remind the court that we are just dealing with a breach of bail and there are no charges issuing out of this.
"Obviously my client should've been much more attentive to his bail conditions."
Magistrate Louisa Pink said it was very concerning behaviour.
She denied the 75-year-old bail and sentenced him to three months' imprisonment.
The man had already served 19 days of pre-sentence custody and a parole release date was set for Friday, August 16.