Burnett roads claim two lives over horror weekend
DRIVERS are being urged to take care after a horror weekend resulting in two men losing their lives on Burnett roads.
These were two of five tragic incidents on Queensland roads, which resulted in the loss of six lives, leaving a wake of grief and loss for families, friends, colleagues and communities.
A 37-year-old Weranga man died after his vehicle crashed into a tree in Durong on Sunday morning.
A passing motorist found the driver and sole occupant on Chinchilla-Wondai Rd at around 10am.
He was pronounced deceased at the scene and investigations by the Forensic Crash Unit are continuing.
Just before 4pm on Friday, a 31-year-old male driver died in a truck rollover at Balls Rd in Bancroft, north east of Monto.
The truck driver was the sole-occupant and he was pronounced dead at the scene.
Queensland Police Service said it was believed the truck was climbing an incline when it left the roadway and rolled down an embankment.
The Forensic Crash Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding the crash.
An additional five people were injured in three separate road crashes across the North and South Burnett.
On Friday, three Tongan men were travelling between Eidsvold and Mundubbera when they were involved in a car crash.
They travelled home after the crash but awoke on Saturday morning in pain and were airlifted to Bundaberg after arriving at Eidsvold Hospital.
One man, who had suffered chest and neck injuries, was flown by RACQ Lifeflight helicopter.
The other two were flown by plane, one with a shoulder injury and one with neck injuries.
It is believed their injuries were not life threatening.
On Saturday, a man in his 30s was taken to Kingaroy Hospital after a crash between a truck and vehicle on the Burnett Highway north of Goomeri.
A Queensland Ambulance Service spokesman said paramedics attended to the crash at 2.33pm.
The man sustained shoulder injuries.
Just before midnight on Saturday, a 26-year-old French tourist rolled his car on the Gayndah-Mundubbera Road.
The man, and sole occupant of the vehicle, was airlifted to Brisbane with suspected spinal and chest injuries after complaining of numbness.
The road was closed and Queensland Fire and Emergency Service personnel set up a landing site for a rescue helicopter, which was called at about 1am.
Paramedics treated the man at the scene before he was flown to the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital in a serious condition.
Drivers are reminded the fatal five -speeding, distraction, alcohol and drugs, fatigue and not wearing a seatbelt -continue to be a major cause of death on Queensland roads.
Transport and Main Roads minister Mark Bailey said last year 245 people people were killed on Queensland roads.
"That's 245 mums, dads, brothers, sisters and children," he said.
"I urge everyone to steer clear of the 'fatal five' and make our roads a safer place for everyone."
Over the next four years, the Palaszczuk Government will be delivering more than $1.92 billion in critical road safety infrastructure upgrades.
"But we need every Queenslander to keep safety front of mind and drive so others can survive," Mr Bailey said.
"One different choice on the road could save your life, the life of a loved one or another."