Grass fire at Deep Creek Rd, Inverlaw, on Sunday August 5, 2018.
Grass fire at Deep Creek Rd, Inverlaw, on Sunday August 5, 2018. Christian Berechree

Cause of 'crazy' grass fire revealed

THE community is advised to not leave any sort of fire unattended.

South Burnett rural inspector Marty Taylor said this after a fire ripped through Inverlaw last weekend.

Queensland Fire and Emergency Service crew members have continued to monitor the Inverlaw grass fire, burning within containment lines today.

The fire crew members were first called out to the grass fire near Deep Creek Rd at 12.39pm on Sunday August 5.

The fire was started by an unattended incinerator at lunch time on Sunday, Mr Taylor said.

"It was left unattended when he went in for lunch, and when he came out it'd just gone crazy," he said.

Firefighters worked to contain the blaze which moved its way to nearby properties and burned through a total of 80 hectares.

Most of the land was a tall timber forest, and rural and auxiliary fire crews, as well as Inverlaw property owners, worked together to control the fire.

Mr Taylor said the property owners were a great help, and used two tractors and a dozer to assist with putting in the fire breaks.

The crews put in mineral earth breaks and dozer fire breaks to contain the fire and conducted back burning across the containment lines to snuff out the flames, he said.

The fire started to spot over the breaks at about 3.30pm.

"Initially eight properties were under threat, and we protected all of those," Mr Taylor said.

While there was no direct threat to property, smoke affected the surrounding areas including Taabinga, and QFES put out a smoke advice at around 3.25pm.

There were a total of 16 trucks and 35 crew members were working on the ground to strengthen containment lines in an effort to control the fire, Mr Taylor said.

The crews were released from the grounds at 7pm on Sunday.

"It could've been worse, but the crews got onto it quickly and put in lots of hard work," he said.

Another fire was started by an angle grinder at Saddle Tree Creek Rd, Wengenville on Monday morning.

National park rangers worked with 20 firefighters to contain the fire at the base of the Bunya Mountains.