South Burnett Private Hospital will be placed in the South Burnett Regional Council’s hands.
South Burnett Private Hospital will be placed in the South Burnett Regional Council’s hands. Danielle Lowe

Council will take over South Burnett Private Hospital

SOUTH Burnett Private Hospital will not close despite news Pulse Health will no longer manage the facility.

Mayor Wayne Kratzmann announced South Burnett Regional Council would take over operations of the hospital in four to five months.

Cr Kratzmann said the council had been working closely with Pulse Health to ensure uninterrupted medical services.

"I am thrilled the council is able to take over operations of the hospital," Cr Kratzmann said.

"It is a wonderful thing for the council to be able to do for the community.

"In my 15 months as mayor this is so far my greatest achievement."

Cr Kratzmann said the hospital was a major health service provider in the region.

The council had been and would continue to be committed to it staying open, he said.

He said Pulse Health notified the council in March they did not wish to extend their lease from August 13.

"The council acted as quickly as we could to ensure the hospital didn't close for even one day," Cr Kratzmann said.

"(The hospital closure) was a possibility had Pulse Health not agreed to a commercial agreement to continue to run it until the council can transfer the licence."

The private hospital has been a part of Pulse Health for three years but it decided to discontinue its management role.