Matthew Owen Kingi, 31, faced Mackay Supreme Court after he was sprung by police selling valium and the drug ice.
Matthew Owen Kingi, 31, faced Mackay Supreme Court after he was sprung by police selling valium and the drug ice. Facebook

Double shifts as ice dealer, debt collector

A VIOLENT drug "debt collector" operating in Mackay and Airlie Beach who was busted dealing ice and valium pumped up on steroids after he was bullied as a child.

Matthew Owen Kingi's defence team told a court the 31-year-old started using marijuana at age six, ice at 15 and was homeless by 17, following a chaotic upbringing.

Kingi managed to score various jobs, including a five year stint in mining before the economic downturn hit the Mackay region in 2015.

Barrister Bronwyn Hartigan said Kingi found himself unemployed, began using ice and valium and was soon distributing the drugs.

However, Supreme Court Justice James Henry said Kingi had a a "revolving door history" of violence and drug crimes and was just "slow to learn from mistakes".

Kingi fronted Mackay Supreme Court on Monday, after serving 26 months in prison on seven charges, and relating to prior convictions.

He pleaded guilty to trafficking methamphetamines (ice), supplying diazepam (valium) and assault occasioning bodily harm in company.

Kingi also pleaded guilty to possessing $1640 (proceeds of crime), possessing the steroid tamoxifen, possessing the steroid clomiphene and breaching bail (curfew).

All of the crimes occurred between December 21, 2014 and November 20, 2015 at Mackay and elsewhere in Queensland.

The long delay in the finalisation of Kingi's case, due to various factors, was referred to as an "unfortunate reflection on the criminal justice system" by Justice Henry.

Providing the facts, Crown prosecutor Nathan Crane said Kingi's history included multiple violence and drug convictions.

Kingi punched a woman because she refused to have sex with him in 2007 and he body-slammed a club reveller while employed as a glassy in 2009.

Mr Crane said many of the crimes before the court were uncovered inadvertently when police were phone tapping a co-accused.

He said Kingi was used as a "debt collector" while assisting another dealer in distribution.

While Kingi dealt ice for personal use - a seven gram deal was noted - he had access to large quantities of the drug.


Matthew Owen Kingi, 31, faced Mackay Supreme Court after he was sprung by police selling valium and the drug ice.
Matthew Owen Kingi, 31, faced Mackay Supreme Court. Facebook

Kingi had a separate work phone and used a driver during the three month trafficking period, which Mr Crane said demonstrated a sophisticated venture.

But Ms Hartigan said the driver had been used because Kingi never held a licence, and had been disqualified regardless.

Mr Crane added that police noticed suspicious bank deposits while Kingi was dealing, including an $18,250 transaction, and found "bundles" of cash stashed in his home.

Regarding the assault charge, Mr Crane said it was linked to a $5000 debt owed - though Kingi claimed it wasn't related to drugs.

On November 20, 2015, Kingi bailed up his victim in a public street with a co-accused man and the pair launched an attack.

The victim was repeatedly punched until he dropped to the ground and the beating continued.

Mr Crane said the victim reported the attack after his girlfriend noticed his battered face the next morning and convinced him to speak with police.

The prosecutor submitted Kingi had already served enough time behind bars for his crimes.

Ms Hartigan, instructed by Morton Lawyers, said Kingi had spent a "very long time in jail to reflect" and had taken a "trusted" job as a prison storeman.

She submitted he'd gained insight into his behaviour and had cited steroids, alcohol and anger management as problematic.

Additionally, the barrister said Kingi was "exposed to a great deal of DV (domestic violence) in his youth and recently missed the funeral of a close family member, who died while he was in prison.

Ms Hartigan said Kingi should not spend more time in prison and supervision in the community could fast-track his rehabilitation.

Justice Henry agreed Kingi had spent enough time in jail, but questioned whether he should be jailed with immediate parole eligibility - granted at the discretion of prison authorities - instead of receiving a suspended sentence or the like.

After a lengthy discussion, Kingi was sentenced to three years and four month jail with immediate parole eligibility.