Family home destroyed after fire erupts in child's bedroom
A BUDERIM family home has been gutted by flames this morning after a bedside lamp fell on a child's bed while he was sleeping.
Emergency services were called to the Pheasant St address just before 8am and found flames billowing from the building on arrival.
All occupants were out of the home before crews arrived and no one was injured.
Maroochydore Fire Station officer Scott Daly said the source of the blaze was difficult to access due to the construction of the split-level home.
"It was very hard to access, as it had three different levels," Mr Daly said.
"There's steel beams but wooden floors throughout, which made it very susceptible to the floors giving way on the upper levels.
"The construction of the building sort of aided the spread of the fire. It caused a chimney effect, so the fire starting from the bottom and having a free-flow ... was able to spread very quickly throughout the building."
Mr Daly said the fire had started when a lamp fell on a child's bed, setting the doona cover alight.
Smoke alarms were activated immediately and the family was able to escape from the home.
The fire was extinguished soon after crews arrived, but Mr Daly said there was "extensive damage" to the house.
"If there can be anything like a textbook evacuation from a home, it was this this morning," he said.
"The biggest outcome of this fire today is the safety of the occupants."
Mr Daly said the family of four was devastated after losing almost everything in the fire.
"Two wings on the right-hand side of the verandas were kept to minimal damage, but smoke and flame and fire damage has destroyed the rest of the house," he said
"The occupants were visibly upset, losing everything, but they also took away the message that everyone was safe coming out.
"That's the most important thing to everything."
Queensland Ambulance Service Sunshine Coast operations supervisor Mark Fisher said it was "very fortunate" no one was injured in the blaze.
"They evacuated very quickly," he said. "There were no injuries, which was very very fortunate. No smoke inhalation, no burns, no injuries, which was a good result."
Mr Daly said it was a stark reminder for all households to ensure they had working smoke alarms.
"Check your batteries, make sure they are operational, and everyone will get out of the fire safely," he said.