Flash flooding and heavy rain heading for the Darling Downs
A SEVERE thunderstorm warning has been issued for parts of the Darling Downs and Wide Bay.
The Bureau of Meteorology said the severe storms were likely to produce damaging winds and large hailstones over the next several hours.
Locations which may be affected include Warwick, Toowoomba, Ipswich, Boonah, Oakey and Yarraman.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it's flooded, forget it.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 5:50 pm.
In addition to the previous warning, severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds and large hailstones in parts of the Wide Bay/Burnett, Darling Downs and SE Coast districts. #Warwick #Toowoomba #Ipswich #Boonah #Oakey #Qld Storm. For more see https://t.co/GGSljUweuI pic.twitter.com/1OdUsrdusr— Bureau of Meteorology, Queensland (@BOM_Qld) February 15, 2018