Road, air crash victims make miraculous escapes

THe driver and passenger of this vehicle had to be cut free after it rolled and collided with a truck on the Gore Hwy about 40km west of Millmerran:Photo Contributed
A man and his wife escaped with minor injuries after a crash involving a truck near Millmerran. Photo Contributed

FOUR road and air crash victims are lucky to be alive after narrowly escaping serious incidents within hours of each other.

A man and wife were the first fortunate crash victims after their ute rolled and collided with a B-Double truck on the Gore Hwy, west of Millmerran, about 3pm Tuesday.

Millmerran police officer-in-charge Sergeant Steve Ryan said the caravan the couple were towing appeared to have unhooked about the same time the car was being overtaken by the truck.

Sgt Ryan said a witness, who was travelling behind the two vehicles, told him the ute rolled and went into the path of the truck.

"It has ended up being pushed along by the prime mover," Sgt Ryan said.

"It ended up in trees on the incorrect side of the road."

Firefighters had to cut a 65-year-old Victorian man and his 56-year-old wife from the squashed cabin.

They were taken to Millmerran Hospital before the man was flown to Toowoomba Hospital.

Both were in a stable condition.

Sgt Ryan said the truck had a bullbar which was specially designed to stop trucks from going over the top of objects.

He said the front underrun protection system had definitely worked.

A dog, which was travelling with the couple, was unharmed in the incident.

"The dog was saved as he was wearing a dog harness."

A Piper Warrior II rests in a paddock north of Cunnamulla after the pilot lost power and was forced to crash land.
A Piper Warrior II rests in a paddock north of Cunnamulla after the pilot lost power and was forced to crash land. Photo Contributed

Meanwhile, a man and woman were very fortunate to walk away from a crash landing in a paddock north of Cunnamulla.

Grazier Paul McCarthy helped emergency services find the stricken Piper Warrior II, which came down on his property Hayfield Station about 8.30pm.

The pilot had suffered some kind of engine failure and was trying to make it to the nearby Cunnamulla Airport.

"Another metre to the left and they would have been smack in the middle of a gidgee tree," Mr McCarthy.

The impact tore the left wing from the plane.

"He must have come fairly close to power lines."

Mr McCarthy said it was lucky they had landed in a fairly open paddock.

Cunnamulla police acting-officer-in-charge John McPhail said the 29-year-old pilot and his 30-year-old female passenger were flying from Melbourne to Charleville.

Acting Senior Sergeant McPhail said they were extremely lucky, considering they had landed in darkness.

The pilot suffered a cut to his head, concussion and a broken nose.

He was taken to Cunnamulla Hospital before being flown in a stable condition to Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane.

The woman suffered minor injuries.