Mum held her hands as daughter, 9, raped

A GOLD Coast mum dressed her nine-year-old daughter in a frilly dress, put bunny ears on her head, tied her up and allowed men to rape her, a court has heard.

A jury was told the girl was allegedly asleep in her bed on at least three occasions when her mum came into her bedroom with different men and watched as she was raped.

The Southport District Court yesterday heard that on one occasion the mother held her daughter's hands as she was raped and on another occasion the mother also touched the girl inappropriately.

The allegations came to light after the girl spoke to a Headspace psychologist.
The allegations came to light after the girl spoke to a Headspace psychologist.

The jury was also told the girl heard her mum talking to one of the men about money.

The mum, who legally cannot be named, pleaded not guilty to three counts of rape, two counts of deprivation of liberty and one count each of indecently treating a child and maintaining an unlawful relationship with a child.

The court heard all the incidents allegedly happened while the girl's father was in prison for drug-related matters between May 2014 and May 2015.

Crown prosecutor Judith Geary said the incidents were not discovered until the girl wrote a note to a Headspace psychologist in 2016.

"When I was in bed mum came in with her friends and touched me inappropriately," the note read.

The court heard the girl told police on the first occasion she was given something to drink when she complained.

The next night the girl just shut her eyes and waited until it was over.

"She did say it would always be someone different," she said.

The court heard on the third occasion the girl remembered waking up dressed like a "playboy bunny" in a frilly dress and bunny ears to a man and her mother touching her inappropriately.

Ms Geary said the girl told police she was tied up and when she woke in the morning she was still tied to the bed.

Defence barrister Jann Taylor said the girl had been in an ongoing custody battle between her mother and father.

She said a text message sent by one of the girl's sisters would show there was a plan to "set-up" the mother "so she didn't have anything to do with the kids".

Ms Taylor said the girl's telling of the version of events also changed.

The trial continues today and is expected to last three to four days.