Ipswich truckie Maurice Smith escapes jail time over crash

AN IPSWICH truck driver has avoided being sent to jail after crashing his semi-trailer into four vehicles that resulted in numerous people being injured.

Maurice James Smith, 65, was found guilty following a three-day trial in Brisbane District Court last month to dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing grievous bodily harm.

The court heard Smith was driving his prime mover and fully-loaded 15m trailer along Lytton Rd, East Brisbane on April 3, 2013, when he failed to negotiate a bend in the road.

The result saw his trailer overturn before sliding along the road and striking four vehicles and coming to a stop on the opposite curb.

Crown prosecutor Carly Whelan told Smith's sentencing hearing on Tuesday the driver of one of the other vehicles sustained serious injuries in the crash.

"The injuries included a fractured spine and significant bruising to her arms, legs and shoulders," she said.

"She had to undergo surgery where steel rods were used to fuse several vertebras.

"There is the possibility, despite surgery, she will experience some pain for the rest of her life."

Ms Whelan said the forensic crash unit estimated Smith was travelling between 49-51kmh when the crash occurred.

She said there was a sign advising motorists they should be travelling at 40kmh when negotiating the corner, despite the road having a 60kmh speed limit.

"His driving was reckless and careless. He was an experienced driver who used the road numerous times each day over a number of years," she said.

"It is fortunate the crash did not result in a more serious outcome."

Defence barrister James Benjamin said Smith had since retired from truck driving for ill health and family reasons.

He said he was upfront, candid, honest and co-operative with police during their investigation.

Judge Anthony Rafter sentenced Smith to 18 months behind bars, wholly suspended for two years.

Smith was also disqualified from holding a licence for two years. - APN NEWSDESK.