The man appeared in the Kingaroy Magistrates Court.
The man appeared in the Kingaroy Magistrates Court.

Man avoids Christmas jail-time after text tirade

A DOMESTIC violence program at Graham House has saved a man from spending Christmas in prison.

A South Burnett man went on a two-day campaign, harassing his former partner with abusive text messages and phone calls, breaking his domestic violence order.

The South Burnett man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty in Kingaroy Magistrates Court last week to contravention a domestic violence order.

On August 1 this year the victim attended Kingaroy Police Station stating that she had been contacted a number of times by the defendant.

She had sent him a message on Facebook asking him to leave her alone.

She received 41 calls from the defendant which were all rejected and then a further 200 calls from a blocked number.

Police listened to a number of voicemail messages left by the man on her mobile phone, all abusive and threatening.

Police Prosecutor Sergeant Wayne Bushell said the man had attended a domestic violence program at Graham House which was a positive out of the situation.

"But it doesn't take away from the offending behaviour and past history, a period of prison is certainly warranted,” Sgt Bushell said.

Defence Lawyer Caroline Cavanagh said the behaviour of her client was dismal.

"Having been already incarcerated for communication like that in the past he is deeply regretful of what he's become involved with,” she said.

Ms Cavanagh referred her client to the program.

Magistrate Andrew Hackett said even though there was not any physical violence the damage to the victim was psychological.

Mr Hackett said the behaviour was cowardly and disgusting.

"I've had a gutful of it and I'm really close to jailing you, if you come back before me on a breach of domestic violence you will be in jail,” he said.

But Mr Hackett acknowledged the man's participation in the domestic violence program which he said was stopping the cycle of violence.

Mr Hackett handed down a 15-month jail sentence suspended for six months.