Kerry Andersen, 55, was jailed for sexually assaulting a young woman at a pub in May.
Kerry Andersen, 55, was jailed for sexually assaulting a young woman at a pub in May.

Motel owner jailed for disgusting sex assault at pub

THREE seconds was all it took for a Sunshine Coast businessman to violate a young mother in a disgusting sexual assault as she stood beside her husband.

The 27-year-old woman's night out with friends was meant to be safe, but Nambour motel owner Kerry Andersen ensured it was not in a two-hour unwanted sexual pursuit.

Andersen's advances ended with his fingers on top of her underwear and his penis against her back in a sexual assault magistrate Rod Madsen said warranted jail time.

Andersen, 55, buckled at the knees and started crying in Maroochydore Magistrates Court on Wednesday when he was sentenced to 12 months jail to be suspended after serving three months behind bars.

Mr Madsen said he couldn't ignore the facts that Andersen's attack had left a mother with crippling anxiety.

Police prosecutor Jeanette Grigoris said Andersen introduced himself to the woman about midnight on May 4 while they were drinking at a Goondiwindi pub.

She told police she didn't know him, but he approached her twice more trying to strike up conversation.

The woman told Andersen to "f------ get away" when he grabbed her hard on the arm, wrapped his arm over her shoulder and tried to convince her into chatting.

About 1.45am the woman walked to stand beside her husband after Andersen stood in front of her and made her feel uncomfortable again.

Thirty seconds later she felt Andersen's hand between her legs and his fingers press into her genitals.

He buried his head into her neck and whispered "where can we go, baby" into her ear as his erect penis rubbed against her back.

Andersen sobbed at Maroochydore Magistrates Court on Wednesday as he heard of the mental and physical pain his victim had suffered at his hand.

Her victim impact statement detailed anxiety attacks she suffered when leaving the house, and the toll the assault has taken on her marriage.

Defence lawyer Michael Robinson said Anderson did not usually drink and was celebrating a friend's success at a campdrafting event when he became too drunk.

Mr Robinson said Andersen, who had limited criminal history, had no memory of the "brief" incident.

Mr Madsen said despite Andersen's record, he could not ignore the facts.

"She could not have done anything more to protect herself from your unexpected and disgusting approach," he said.

"For some reason you have avoided a much more serious offence … I can't find the words to describe this."

Mr Madsen said the "determined effort" to assault his victim overwhelmed Andersen's family and business responsibilities that Mr Robinson had argued should have kept him out of jail.

Andersen wailed as he was sentenced to 12 months' jail, suspended after serving three months and operational for three years.

For 24-hour sexual violence support  call the national hotline 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732 or Mensline on MensLine on 1800 600 636.