Brisbane man spent a week in and out of the Toowoomba Police Station watch house.
Brisbane man spent a week in and out of the Toowoomba Police Station watch house. Bev Lacey

Centrelink man: 'Give me my money or I'll f*** you all up'

A BRISBANE man who has spent the past week in and out of the Toowoomba police watch house has finally been given his liberty - with a catch.

Phillip Malcolm Fitch was first taken into custody after allegedly causing a disturbance at an inner-city Toowoomba pub at the weekend.

He was released on bail after appearing before Toowoomba Magistrates Court on Monday but his liberty was short-lived.

Soon after his release, the 27-year-old attended the Toowoomba office of Centrelink, in breach of bail conditions which prevented him from attending any Centrelink office in Queensland, the same court heard.

Having caused a disturbance at Centrelink on Monday afternoon during which he had demanded from staff "Give me my money or I'll f*** you all up" and kicked a door, police took him into custody again, police prosecutor Senior Constable Julia Wheaton told the court.

Due to front court again on Tuesday, he was taken to Toowoomba Hospital when appearing to suffer an asthma attack and, after treatment, was returned to the watch house for the night.

He appeared back in court yesterday and applied for bail.

Snr Const. Wheaton told Acting Magistrate Robert Walker that police had concerns on Fitch receiving bail as he was already facing 30 non-related charges for which he was due in Brisbane Magistrates Court on April 4, 5, 19, and 26 as well as the Beenleigh Magistrates Court next week.

Solicitor Phil Stainton, the fourth duty lawyer to represent Fitch in the past week in Toowoomba, told the court his client instructed he could reside at an address in Ann St, Brisbane, while on bail.

However, Mr Walker said that address was a hotel and given the "significant risk" that the defendant would re-offend he was reluctant to grant bail.

Fitch had then entered pleas of guilty to the public nuisance offence committed at Centrelink in Toowoomba as well as to breaching bail by going there in the first place.

Mr Walker sentenced him to one month in jail on those two matters but ordered the term be suspended in full to hang over his head for the next 12 months.

Fitch was then free to leave the Toowoomba court but remained on bail to appear before the Beenleigh and Brisbane courts on the other matters.