Pacquiao calls for review into 'unfair' title fight decision
IN THE wake of his shock welterweight title loss boxing great Manny Pacquiao is calling for the World Boxing Organisation to review the "unfair decision and officiating".
Despite accepting the decision in the aftermath of his shock loss to Aussie Jeff Horn, Pacquaio has now endorsed a formal call by the Philippines' Games and Amusement Board for the WBO to review the outcome of the Brisbane fight.
"I love boxing and I don't wanna see it dying because of unfair decision and officiating," Pacquiao, 38, said in a statement issued by his office.
"I had already accepted the decision but as a leader and, at the same time, fighter I have the moral obligation to uphold sportsmanship, truth and fairness in the eyes of the public."
In their approach to the WBO the Philippines' sports regulatory body called into question the decisions of American referee Mark Nelson and the fight's judges.
"We are making this request for a review, which may call for sanctions on the referee and judges if so warranted, in furtherance of our mutual goal of protecting the integrity of the sport," the board wrote."
Pacquiao supported the statement and also questioned Nelson's decisions, alledging Horn was allowed to employ illegal tactics and rubbishing the Aussie's skills as fighter.
"He's not really good but he's really strong," Pacquiao said.
"The problem here is that the referee, I don't know if he did it deliberately or he just did not have experience, he just allowed it and did not even give any warning for how many times.
"It's as if the referee wanted to help my opponent."
The WBO on Tuesday responded to the controversy in its Twitter account. "The discretion of a referee or judge cannot be reversed, except in a case of fraud or violation of laws which is not the case in Pac vs Horn," the WBO said.
"The contract for Pac vs Horn provides a rematch clause, which the WBO is in accordance (with) if the promoters decide to move forward."