Prescribed burns in the South Burnett
THE South Burnett Regional Council has advised that prescribed burn operations will be undertaken at council reserves across the South Burnett.
Prescribed burns play an important role in wildfire mitigation and biodiversity conservation.
The burn offs are happening at;
- Booie Reserve.
- Blackbutt Tip Reserve.
- Maidenwell Reserve.
- Boardman Road Reserve.
- Boondooma Dam.
- Proston Town Common Reserve.
- Staines Road Reserve, Benarkin.
- Wondai East Reserve.
- Goodger Wetland.
- Nanango Tip Reserve.
- Kingaroy Night Soil Depot Reserve.
- Malar Reserve.
- Nanango Fauna Sanctuary.
- Old Esk Road Quarry Reserve.
- Tingoora Reserve.
- Gordonbrook Dam Reserve.
The burns will start this month and continue until August.
Residents and businesses around the burn area are reminded to take the following precautions;
- Keep doors and windows closed to prevent smoke entering homes.
- Keep outdoor furniture under cover to prevent ember burns.
- Retract pool covers to prevent ember damage.
- Remove washing from clothes lines.
- Ensure pets have a protected area.
- Vehicles must slow down, keep windows up and turn headlights on.
- Sightseers must keep away from the burn for their own safety.
If you have asthma or other breathing difficulties reduce outdoor activities. If shortness of breath or coughing develops, take advised medical precautions or seek medical advice.
For more information phone co-ordinator natural resources Denise Whyte 4189 9122.