STILL OPEN: Mayor Wayne Kratzmann said there was a misconception the hospital had already closed.
STILL OPEN: Mayor Wayne Kratzmann said there was a misconception the hospital had already closed. Barclay White

South Burnett Private Hospital open for another 7 weeks

The South Burnett Private Hospital is still open and will remain so until September 30, with reception open and visiting specialists attending the hospital.

Mayor Wayne Kratzmann said he did not want the community thinking the hospital had already completely ceased operating.

"There is a misconception out there the hospital has closed, which is not the case," he said.

"The most noteworthy change is that operating on patients who require surgery is not currently possible."

Visiting specialist Philip McDougall said the region would suffer should the community become totally reliant on the public hospital to provide ongoing health care.

"I have visited Kingaroy on a monthly basis for more than ten years, and despite the calibre of the recent hospital providers, have been able to provide a service which, I am sure, has benefited many," he said.

"Should the hospital close, I feel very sorry for the South Burnett community as a whole.

"It is my intention to visit the South Burnett Private Hospital in both August and September to consult with those patients who are booked to see me."

Dr McDougall said if a new hospital provider was not secured he would be unable to provide a service to the South Burnett community.

"If I am unable to treat those patients referred for consultation locally, obviously patients will have to seek treatment elsewhere," he said.

Cr Kratzmann said the South Burnett Private Hospital provided crucial health services to the residents of the South Burnett and it was essential that a new service provider be found.