STORM WARNING: damaging hail, rain, and wind
WONDAI Races have been abandoned after hail and heavy rain fell not long after thunderstorm warnings were issued for the South Burnett this afternoon.
The rain and hail hit Wondai just after 2pm today.
Both the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) and Weatherzone have released a severe thunderstorm warning for the Wide Bay Burnett area.
"Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and large hailstones over the next several hours in parts of the Wide Bay and Burnett district," the BOM warning said.
"Locations which may be affected include Gympie, Maryborough, Murgon, Gayndah, Biggenden, Rainbow Beach, and Tiaro."
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services has advised to:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it's flooded, forget it.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 8.05 pm.