Sugar chief allays concerns about likelihood of flooding
FLOODING concerns regarding the Mary Harbour development have been addressed by MSF Sugar chief executive Mike Barry, who said extensive planning had been done to ensure the new development would not flood.
Roger Currie from the Wide Bay Burnett Conservation Council expressed some concern on Thursday, saying that 70% of the land MSF Sugar was intending to develop went under water when ex-tropical cyclone Oswald hit the region in January 2013.
However, Mr Barry said extensive modelling had been done to ensure the project would not be affected by any level of possible flooding, including the effects of a once-in-100-year flood.
Mr Barry said the possible effects of climate change had also been taken into account.
Mr Currie said it would be interesting to see how the project unfolded.
"If it's done right, it could be a real winner," he said.