What made Kingaroy man punch dock, threaten judge in court

A KINGAROY man has threatened a judge after being refused bail in Kingaroy District Court on Wednesday.

Thomas Baker, 43, lashed out by punching the dock and yelling "that is for your face, your honour," when he was told he would be going back behind bars.

The man appeared in court on charges stemming from the assault of his 80-year-old stepfather.

"I know what I want to do with my life. Jail for doing criminal activity isn't one of them ..." Baker said.

"He is not my family, he is my stepfather. I respect him, but I don't always agree with him."

Baker pleaded guilty to entering a dwelling with intent while armed and assault occasioning bodily harm while armed.

Crown prosecutor Alex Stark said Baker went to his stepfather's home in March 2018 to return an air compressor, but when asked to leave after a confrontation, threatened the elderly man, saying "I will get you".

He returned 30 minutes later, armed with a piece of timber similar to a garden stake.

"He said, 'I'm going to beat the hell out of you,' and hit the complainant to a few times on the head and body and continued when he raised his hand to defend the blows," Mr Stark told the court.

The court was told Baker repeatedly said "I'm going to bash you" to his stepfather.

The 80-year-old suffered deep lacerations to his skull which required seven stitches and a laceration to his arm which required eight stitches.

Judge Glen Cash described Baker's history as "concerning".

Baker responded by asking, "What is so criminal about my history?".

While on bail after the assault, Baker was convicted for possessing dangerous drugs in August 2018, failing to appear in court in August 2018, wilful damage of police property in April 2019 and obstructing police in June 2019, which led to him being put in custody.

Defence barrister Rob Glenday said he was instructed by Baker that his stepfather was swearing at him and and calling him derogatory names each time he was at the house on the day of the assault.

However, Mr Stark did not agree to those facts and the case was adjourned for Mr Glenday to consult Baker.

Following the adjournment, Mr Glenday told the judge he would step down as defence barrister.

The case was adjourned for Baker to seek legal aid. No date was set for the next court hearing.