What was happening in the South Burnett during WW2?
DID YOU know the RAAF used Kingaroy as a training base during the Second World War?
Today's Kingaroy airport was used as a base for the 93 Squadron formed in Kingaroy on January 22, 1945.
The 93 Squadron was the last operation Beaufighter squadron and was formed in Kingaroy in 1945.
They were known as the Green Ghost Squadron.
In may after spending months doing training, the ground party left in May with the United States Army to Morotai Indonesia.
The remaining 19 aircraft left Kingaroy in July and arrived in Labuan, two days later eight aircraft were detailed to attack an oil tanker with rockets. .
Squadron Leader Gulliver attacked from a height of 600 feet and at a range of 600 yards.
Eighteen hits and nine near misses were counted on the 800-ton ship, which was considered destroyed.
93 Squadron's last operations were in August when four Beaufighters made an armed reconnaissance of Kuching aerodrome and the other eight attacked Tromboul airfield.
Most of the buildings used in Kingaroy have since disappeared.
The former inflammable store,morgue, crash ambulance station, motor pool and meteorological hut are used by the Burnett War Memorial Museum Association; one of the Bellman hangars survives, along with a vehicle wash bay, a small radio telegraph shack, a locker building, a concrete machine gun test butt building, and a hospital building with an ambulance garage and a prophylactic room and isolation ward.
The pre-existing Kingaroy civil aerodrome was taken over by the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) in late 1941. The first 96 buildings were erected by 10 July 1942, and No. 3 Initial Training School (ITS) moved to Kingaroy later that year. The wartime entrance was from Buttsworth Road east of the aerodrome, but today the main entrance is from the west via Warren Truss Drive, about 1km south of Kingaroy on the Kingaroy-Cooyar Road.
Most of the buildings have disappeared since the war.