Kingaroy Red Ants on their way to defeating the Wondai Wolves 30-16 on Saturday.
Kingaroy Red Ants on their way to defeating the Wondai Wolves 30-16 on Saturday. Matt Collins

Wondai's season comes to an end, but team has high hopes

EVEN though they were knocked out of the competition at the weekend, a South Burnett rugby league team is incredibly proud of their efforts this season.

After coming fourth on the competition ladder, Wondai Wolves went down to Kingaroy Red Ants 30-16 in the semi-finals at Murgon on Saturday.

It was only his first season with the team, yet Wondai Wolves A-grade coach Peter Mickelo said there were a lot of positive changes implemented at the club throughout the year.

"This season has been about purely building for us,” Mickelo said.

"After we were defeated by Kingaroy on the weekend, the guys were still happy with their performances throughout this season.

"Kingaroy fully deserved the win as they managed to weather our storm we put up for them.

"We wanted to go out and play our best, so any time we won this season it was just a bonus.

"Considering the past few seasons at Wondai have been rather dismal, we now have some structure at the club.

"It's going to be a good thing for the future going forward.”

A huge change Mickelo witnessed at the club this year was a change in attitude amongst the broader Wondai community.

"After the game on Saturday we had several comments from the public, from fans, from other clubs saying they hadn't seen how we ran this year, but were impressed by our efforts,” Mickelo said.

"This year we have also focused on changing the culture within the club.

"We have made it a more family orientated place and it's great the community can feel the difference.”

Kingaroy Red Ants captain Marty McCracken said going back to basics got his team over the line at the weekend.

"We gave away a lot of silly penalties in the first half,” McCracken said.

"We also had some some players sent to the sin bin, which didn't help us.

"Wondai managed to score a couple of tries before half-time so we were chasing them.

"In the second half we had to step it up and talk more on the field.

"That kicked us into gear and made us come away with the win.”

Kingaroy Red Ants will play Cherbourg Hornets next weekend at the preliminary final in Cherbourg.